Investing in real estate is a fantastic way to collect passive income and build long-term wealth. However, if you are new to the industry, it can be daunting even figuring out where to start. Thankfully, successful investors, real estate moguls, and financial professionals share their knowledge in books that any potential landlord can benefit from. Whether you are already a seasoned industry guru or just thinking about your first property, knowledge is power. So, take a look at these 15 books on real estate investing that every landlord should read in 2021.
15 Books on Real Estate Investing Every Landlord Should Read
Investing in the ever-changing real estate industry successfully requires individuals to know the basics and think outside the box. Therefore, leaning on the tried-and-true methods of experts in the field is one way to build the knowledge you need. So, when it comes to books on real estate investing, check out these top choices below to help you develop a winning strategy.
- What Every Real Estate Investor Needs to Know About Cash Flow by Frank Gallinelli
- Trump: The Art of the Deal by Donald J. Trump
- Long-Distance Real Estate Investing by David Greene
- The Book on Rental Property Investing by Brandon Turner
- The Millionaire Real Estate Investor by Gary Keller
- The Book on Investing In Real Estate with No (and Low) Money Down by Brandon Turner
- How to Be a Real Estate Investor by Phil Pustejovsky
- Building Wealth One House at a Time by John W Schaub
- The Unofficial Guide to Real Estate Investing by Spencer Strauss and Martin Stone
- How to Manage Residential Property for Maximum Cash Flow and Resale Value by John T. Reed
- The Book on Flipping Houses by J Scott
- Trump Strategies for Real Estate: Billionaire Lessons for the Small Investor by George Ross
- The ABCs of Real Estate Investing: The Secrets of Finding Hidden Profits Most Investors Miss by Ken Mcelroy
- The Book on Tax Strategies for the Savvy Real Estate Investor by Frank Gallinelli
- Landlording on Auto-Pilot by Mike Butler
What Every Real Estate Investor Needs to Know About Cash Flow, by Frank Gallinelli
This bestseller is a helpful guide for everything you need to know about all things real estate! Thus, removing the guesswork for getting into and being successful as a rental property investor. What sets this title apart from other books on real estate investing is its thorough case studies and teaching principles for crunching numbers like a pro. So, to take the smartest approach to your next acquisition, use this as a guide to learn about –
- Discounted Cash Flow
- Net Present Value
- Capitalization Rate
- Cash-on-Cash Return
- Net Operating Income
- Internal Rate of Return
- Profitability Index
- Return on Equity
Trump: The Art of the Deal, by Donald J. Trump
Donald Trump is a controversial but no doubt wildly successful real estate entrepreneur. In one of the top books on real estate investing, he shares an unguarded view on being a successful dealmaker, runs an efficient business, and put into practice the models that work. So, any investor or business owner can benefit from Trump’s decades of knowledge in mixed ventures and willingness to crash through the walls of conventional thinking.
Long-Distance Real Estate Investing, by David Greene
Not every investor lives in the ideal area to build their real estate portfolio. If that is the case, looking to other locations may hold the investment potential you seek. That said, buying and managing the property at a distance is a scary thought if you are not prepared.
The “How To’s” Found in Long-Distance Real Estate Investing by David Greene
- Finding Deals in Any Location
- Analyzing to Know Which Deals to Jump on and Which to Pass Up
- Partner with Realtors and Industry Pros to Handle Deals from A to Z
- Efficient Rehab Projects from Start to Finish for the Least Money
So, if you want to gain market analysis skills, this is the book for you. David Greene shares his tips, tricks, and processes to help investors set up and grow their business in any location.
The Book on Rental Property Investing, by Brandon Turner
Brandon Turner is a successful investor in his own right and shares his realistic advice for others’ benefit. He shares how to find deals and build wealth with a consistent cash flow. So, if you are looking for one of the best books on real estate investing, this one is a must-read.
What Makes this Book Great for Investors?
- Includes unique and easy-to-follow investment strategies anyone can implement
- Tips and advice for financing your real estate on any budget
- Tax advice to keep more money in your pocket
- How to be successful without lifting a paintbrush or broom
The Millionaire Real Estate Investor, by Gary Keller
Throughout arguably one of the best books on real estate investing, Gary Keller teaches prospective investors how to use patience to persevere. In The Millionaire Real Estate Investor, individuals learn not only what to do, but what not to and the financial myths that bog people down.
In This Book You Will Learn
- Identifying Traits of the Best Investment Deals
- How To Develop a Core Support Team
- Tips to Develop a Millionaire’s Mindset
- Key Terms that Make or Break a Transaction
- Ways to Effectively Track and Achieve Financial Goals
The Book on Investing In Real Estate with No (and Low) Money Down, by Brandon Turner
Raising capital is one of the many challenges investors face. Thankfully, this is one of the books on real estate investing individuals can go to for answers. That said, here is a chance to learn the ups and downs of “creative investing” with little or no money. Discover time-tested strategies for leveraging money to maximize benefit and help grow your real estate or rental property business. Also, this book takes a look at various strategies such as flipping, rental income property, and wholesaling. A one-stop-shop!
How to Be a Real Estate Investor, by Phil Pustejovsky
Offering a true rag to riches story, Phil Pustejovsky is one of the industry’s leading experts on all things real estate. Therefore, How to Be a Real Estate Investor lands itself amongst the top books on real estate investing. Phil shares a balanced mix of motivation and practical advice for any would-be investor. This is a book of strategies that any new or seasoned real estate investor can find useful.
Key Takeaways from How to Be a Real Estate Investor by Phil Pustejovsky
- Emphasis on Creativity Over Capital
- The Downside of Seminars that Make Investing Sound Easy
- How to Gain a Competitive Advantage to Berat Out the Competition
- Tips to Close Fast and Get the Best Deals
Building Wealth One House at a Time, by John W Schaub
If direct and to the point is the type of books on real estate investing that interest you, add this one to your list. Building Wealth One House at a Time walks you through a 9-step process outlining how to achieve million-dollar success without debt. It teaches how to recognize and use the real estate cycle for maximum investment benefit and avoid costly mistakes. Furthermore, take advantage of the fresh tips on financing and top negotiation techniques to score the best deals and increase cash flow.
The Unofficial Guide to Real Estate Investing, by Spencer Strauss and Martin Stone
The perfect books on real estate investing cover all the basics for both new and seasoned investors. The Unofficial Guide to Real Estate Investing by Spencer Strauss and Martin Stone is one of these books. Thus, investors will find helpful advice for seeing the “bigger picture” and, most importantly, how to achieve it. From writing a business plan to closing the deal and everything in between, this is a quintessential real estate investment guide.
How to Manage Residential Property for Maximum Cash Flow and Resale Value, by John T. Reed
How to Manage Residential Property for Maximum Cash Flow and Resale Value by John T. Reed is an investor’s guide to property management. So, check this book out for tips on recruiting and overseeing property managers. Additionally, John T. Reed discusses setting up a foolproof accounting system and saving on things like payroll taxes.
The Book on Flipping Houses, by J. Scott
The quintessential guide to flipping houses is brought to you by J. Scott. In one of the best books on real estate investing, J. Scott walks investors through the following key points to achieving success in real estate –
The Book on Flipping Houses Teaches Investors How to:
- Implement the 7 most common creative financing strategies
- Identify the best locations to build your flipping business
- Evaluate properties fast and realistically
- Determine the types of properties you should invest in
- Finance even with less than stellar credit or little cash down
- Create budgets and work schedules for rehab projects
- Hire the best contractors and vendors
- Get the property under contract for top dollar
- Make it to closing as efficiently as possible to cash in
In just over 300 pages, this is one of the books on real estate investing that packs the best skills and strategies into one concise place. So, if you are looking to build wealth through flipping, this is a must-read!
Trump Strategies for Real Estate: Billionaire Lessons for the Small Investor, by George Ross
Another example of how Trump’s strategies and insider know-how make for one of the best books on real estate investing. This time, longtime chief advisor George Ross and author Andrew Mclean team up to present new insight into some of the country’s biggest real estate deals. However, investors can learn the tactics and strategies to translate to any budget, from regular Joes to multi-millionaire tycoons. So, read this to see how a successful mogul finds, negotiates, finances, and cashes in on the real estate market.
The ABCs of Real Estate Investing: The Secrets of Finding Hidden Profits Most Investors Miss, by Ken Mcelroy
Looking to build wealth through real estate cash flow? Well, this is one of the books on real estate investing everyone should read. Ken Mcelroy takes traditional techniques one step further by showing you how property management tools can increase your passive income. That said, check this book out if you are looking for advice on finding deals, negotiating terms, and, most importantly – making money!
The Book on Tax Strategies for the Savvy Real Estate Investor, by Frank Gallinelli
In just 210 pages, Frank Gallinelli teaches powerful and practical techniques to help investors navigate tax time and come out on top! Additionally, this book focuses on how to create a tax strategy for your rental investment business for long term success. So, use this guide as a tool to implement the following –
- Tips for Efficient Bookkeeping Practices
- Creative ways to maximize your tax deductions
- Strategies to write off every penny of travel
- How to Protect Your Business from an Audit
Landlording on Auto-Pilot, by Mike Butler
Who could not benefit from a little less stress in their life? How about less stress and more profit? Well, Landlording on Auto-Pilot may be the answer you are looking for. Mike Butler is a full-time police detective that has managed to handle hundreds of rentals as a side business. In one of the best books on real estate investing, he shares his easy-to-follow tips and tricks for headache-free rental management. Also, Mike explains the tools and technology that aids in achieving maximum profit for minimal effort!
Whether just starting or an industry veteran, learning tips and successful strategies from other experts can help grow your business. So, take advantage of these and the many other books on real estate investing out in the market today.
Investing in real estate is a fantastic way to collect passive income and build long-term wealth. However, another key to success is effectively managing those investment properties and their tenants to maximize profits. Sometimes, easier said than done! Bay Property Management Group is the area’s leading rental management firm. We offer the industry experience and time-tested processes to free up owners to do what they do best – chase the next big deal! So, are you ready to take your business to the next level? Give us a call to find out more.