Washington D.C. is home to politics, many successful businesses, museums, sports, and more. However, the cost of living is quite high, with the average price of a one-bedroom rental costing roughly $2,300. With that said, while you may want to work or play in D.C, there are many affordable places to live just outside the city. Consider some of these top neighborhoods to find the best places to live and commute to Washington, D.C.
Top Maryland Neighborhoods for D.C. Commuters
These six Maryland locations are some of the top places to live outside of the city
- Columbia, MD – Columbia is a nice area between Baltimore and D.C. to live in. Rental rates vary and can be extremely affordable. In addition, you will have your choice between renting a townhome, an apartment, or a single-family home. The options in these areas are plentiful.
- Silver Spring, MD – Silver Spring has come a long way in the past few years. It has both city-type living and suburban neighborhoods. In addition, it’s a close train ride to D.C. but also has plenty of employment options in and of itself.
- Gaithersburg, MD – Gaithersburg is a quick train ride to D.C. as well, plus a quick driving distance to areas like Poolesville and Damascus, both of which have a rural feel, hiking and plenty of other activities to do when you want to get away from city life.
- Rockville, MD – Rockville is a very nice area and with affordable apartments, as well as luxury apartments in the higher-income areas. There are a couple of metro station options to go directly into the city at a low cost.
- Hyattsville, MD – Hyattsville is a quiet town outside of D.C. and close to College Park. It’s great for college students and commuters looking to rent apartments.
- Annapolis, MD – Annapolis, the state’s capital, is a bit further from the city, but worth it for those that enjoy living near or on the water. Annapolis is also a close drive to Baltimore City, giving you plenty of options for weekend activities or employment.
Commuters Options When Living Outside of D.C.
One of the most important criteria for people living outside of the city is the ease of commute into the city:
- MARC Train: The MARC train is an affordable commuter train with stops in or near each of the places discussed above and many more.
- Metro: The Metro primarily runs in D.C., but has stops in Silver Spring, Rockville, Hyattsville, and others outside of the city. This is another affordable commuter option to D.C. for some Maryland renters.
- Amtrak: The Amtrak is a more expensive commuter rail, but good for commuters in that is offers Wi-Fi and business class options. Most stations that have MARC trains also have Amtrak stops.
- Rideshare: Rideshare services like Uber and Lyft are an option for those that live close to the border of D.C. However, this could become expensive quickly. For those living inside the city will find that it’s a very valid and affordable means of getting around. In addition, these services offer shared ride options to allow multiple trips with different individuals for a lower cost.
- Scooter: Rideshare scooters like Uber, Lyft, Bird, Lime are great for commuting within the city. They go fast and can avoid traffic like typical rideshare couldn’t!
- Carpooling: If you’re considering driving into the city, try to avoid rush hour if you can as this can add a lot of time to your ride. In addition, consider carpooling with co-workers if possible, to help with the gas money and for environmental reasons.
Top Employers near Washington D.C.
These are some of the top employers in and outside of D.C. to consider for those looking to move to the area and are searching for a new position. These are just a couple of the best employers in each area (there are hundreds more!) so do your research before deciding which area to move to.
Washington, D.C. Employers
- Fannie Mae: Fannie Mae is located on 15th St NW in the city. It’s a large mortgage company for both commercial and personal use. There are roughly 10,000 employees working at Fannie Mae.
- Danaher Corp: Danaher Corporation is a large global science and technology company that focuses on diagnostic, life, and environmental sciences. About 71,000 employees worth there with different divisions all over the world.
- Lockheed Martin: Lockheed Martin is a large global aerospace, defense, security, and advanced technology company. The Maryland location is based in Bethesda. There are approximately 110,000 employees that work for Lockheed worldwide!
- Marriott International: Everyone knows Marriott International as an international leader in the hotel industry. Its headquarters is based in Bethesda and offers a wide variety of jobs, from accounting to interior design, management, and everything in between.
- Northrop Grumman: Northrop Grumman is similar to Lockheed Martin in that it’s a large technology, engineering, and security company. There is a large wing of the company in Reston, VA, and a headquarters in Falls Church. There are also other locations throughout Maryland, including in Baltimore and Annapolis. This is a large company with approximately 90,000 employees worldwide.
- Booze Allen Hamilton: Booze Allen Hamilton is headquartered in McLean, VA. The company is American management, security, and information consulting firm. Booz Allen has approximately 25,800 employees worldwide with other offices in D.C. and around the world.
Are you looking for a great neighborhood with an easy commute to your Washington, D.C. job? Bay Property Management Group Washington, D.C. can help! With properties located throughout the Baltimore/Washington corridor, we can help find the perfect rental property to make commuting a breeze.