Does your Harrisburg rental property have a front and/or backyard? Curb appeal is important for maintaining both home value and rental value. With that said, it is vital to keep up with landscaping at your rental properties to attract new tenants.
We have some tips for you to achieve low maintenance and easy landscaping at your rental properties!
Tips for Landscaping at your Harrisburg Rental Property
The following tips will allow you to keep the landscaping at your property looking good, but with minimal effort and cost.
- Low Maintenance Watering: Irrigation systems may be expensive at first, but it guarantees the grass, plants, and trees are cared for on a consistent schedule. Doing so may prove more beneficial than trusting a tenant to take care of the lawn or paying a company to come out.
- Low Maintenance Plants/Grass/etc.: Focus on low maintenance plants, grass, and trees. Find those that can essentially take care of themselves. Also, keep weather in mind as plants will freeze in the winter. It is important to find ones that can survive cold temperatures or winterize them ahead of time.
- Hire Help for Bigger Lawns: Don’t be wary of hiring help. It is costly, but having a landscaping company for bigger land will be a huge benefit in the end. The curb appeal and rental value of the home will stay at an increased value and make you profit at the end of the day.
- Hire a Property Management Company: Property management companies are not just responsible for leasing and collecting rent. Hiring a property management company to maintain your property can increase your profit and ease your stress. Additionally, a good property management company likely has relationships with maintenance vendors including landscaping companies. Using a company allows them to handle the upkeep of the property as well as the lawn.
- Research and Resources: There are plenty of resources to help you find the right plants, companies, and landscaping guides. These resources include; the National Gardening Association, Mulch and Soil Council, the U.S. Department of Agriculture, and the National Association of Landscape Professionals. Do your research with these resources before making any major landscaping decisions. Doing so will guarantee you choose the right products, companies, etc.
Additional Landscaping Tips
- Mulch: Mulch can actually make the exterior of the property look very appealing if laid out correctly. Besides, it is much easier and less costly to manage than grass. Mulch comes in many forms including organic along with different shapes, sizes, and colors.
- Ground cover: Take advantage of ground cover apart from grass or mulch! Consider using a deck, gazebo, stones, or other materials that don’t need as much upkeep. This is a great way to take up landscaping space while adding appeal.
- Plant ideas: Always go native for plants. What we mean by this is find plants that are native to the area your property is. The reason for this is, they are more likely to thrive through all seasons (or come back after winter depending on the plant). When it comes to trees, evergreen trees are generally a great idea. They need little maintenance and can survive weather including the hot Pennsylvania summers.
Are you in need of a property management company to maintain the curb appeal and property value of your rentals? Contact Bay Property Management Group Harrisburg and see how we can assist with your Harrisburg investment properties.